More often than not, you will find a unique cat name on your own. But sometimes, you need the inspiration to get the mental block out.
I tried to include unique names I can find and make. A swipe of this name list will give you enough inspiration to come up with more names if this is not enough for you.
I also included meaning for every single piece of these names, so that you can match it with your cat’s personality.
I will keep on updating newer and unique names as I find more in the years to come by.
How to select a cat name?
There are no exact rules to decide on a cat’s name. If it’s short and cute, that will probably be enough. But we still got a guideline for you to follow:
- Observe your cat’s personality first for few days after adoption. Don’t rush into choosing the name. You can name a cat based on its personality, color, body structure, eye color, eating habits, breed, sleeping habits, and activity.
Choose a name that has 1 or 2 syllables only. A longer name doesn’t work well for cats. Even if you choose a long name, try to find the short version of that. For example, the Echo is a cat name with only two-syllable E and O. And if it has more than 2 syllables like Durian, you can shorten it to Dury, Dory or Dura.
- The name must be simple enough to pronounce easily. Complicated names will only make your life complicated.
- Choose an evergreen name that will not look awkward when he grows into a big cat.
You may like the best cat toys ever.
Unique cute cat names.
- Echo– For the cutest cat who keeps on meowing!
- Pepper– Is your kitten sharp and cute at the same time?
- Tansy– The Greek version of immortality. I would never want to lose my cat BTW!
- Cookie, Pookie, Mookie– There’s a charm to these rhythmic names.
- Pip– Originally pip means ‘lover of horses’. Yea, cats are the lover of fish. Goes pretty good.
- Tiddles– Stereotypical cat name yet sounds pretty cute.
- Chipmunk– Cats and squirrels have one thing in common! They both are clever than you.
- Hunny Bunny– If you can’t live without your cat, this is the name to choose! At least the literal meaning says so!
- Muppet– Best suited for doll-like cats with cute eyes.
- Snookums– You’re my cuppy-cake gumdrop snookums snore. Do you remember that?
- Squiggle– For cats that twists a lot!
- Twiggy– A name mostly attributed to supermodel Lesley Lawson. It’s a nice name for a thin cat.
- Winky– Sometimes, I like to keep names that have no literal meaning. It’s the fun of keeping cat names.
- Jett– Jett originates from the bible. And the name is quite cute for a cat.
- Ping Pong– My friend called his cat Ping Pong because it curls up and sleeps like a little ball.
- Puggles– A type of soft toy sold during the mid-1970s.
You may like the best cat houses.
Famous cat names.
- Dandelo– Best known from the movie ‘The Fly’.
- Mufasa– Mufasa is an all-time favorite name among cat and dog owners.
- Thomasina– From the 1963 movie ‘The Three Lives of Thomasina’. Thomasina was the cat in the movie.
- Tonto– The pet cat from ‘Harry and Tonto’ movie.
- Pandora– Inspired from ‘The Brady Bunch’ Tv show and the Cinematic universe from ‘Avatar’
- Garfield– Who doesn’t know about Garfield?
- Orangey– a famous cat seen in various films and TV shows. Perfect for marmalade and orange-colored cats.
- Tigger– The Cat-like tiger from Winnie the Pooh.
- Scratchy– Scratchy the cat is a parody version of Tom the cat.
- Unsinkable Sam– Sam the cat survived 3 shipwrecking incidents during World War II.
You may like the best laser pointer for cats.
Elegant cat names.
- Desdemona– A character from Shakespeare’s ‘Othello’.
- Fifi– Perfect for Rhythmic names and associate well with pipi, Gucci or Gigi.
- Theodora– It means the ‘gift of God’ in Greek.
- Sansa– Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones!
- Garbo– Kind and polite. Do you have such a cat?
- Atticus– Famously portrayed in a 1960 novel, ‘To kill a Mockingbird’.
- Kipling– Rudyard Kipling is the guy known for writing the Jungle Book. But the name is quite elegant.
- Tiberius– Roman origin name. Alternatively, you can use Tierra, Tib or Tiba.
- Chauncey– Literal meaning of fortune in French.
- Attila– Dated back to a 5th-century leader who invaded Europe.
- Thelma– Thelma or Thea for the most persevering cat.
- Eliana– It means God has answered in Hebrew.
- Lyoko– A French animated TV series.
You may like the best cat toys ever.
Badass cat names.
- Admiral– Has a sort of leadership vibe to the name.
- Chief– I had two cats named chief before. And they were super naughty.
- Fang– Means four-sided in Chinese.
- Demolition– Bam! Here’s a cool name for the one that wreaks havoc in your home.
- Doctor Hell– The notorious villain from Japanese anime ‘Mazinger Z’. Hell, I love the name already.
- Sharp– Wooh. That’s a quite sharp name.
- Reeno– Super badass name
- Wacky Baccy– That’s the dope man!
- Acid– Call your pet acid if he is clever.
- Slasher– Slasher, and thrasher are perfect for badass duos.
- Ghoul– The Arabic version of someone greedy. Cats are always greedy for fish you know that.
- Fester– Lester, Fester, and Tester. Like that?
- Knuckles– Knuckles with big buckles.
- Hannibal– That’s a pretty horrific name. Hannibal Lecter, the psychopathic doctor from the Hannibal movie series.
- Chaos– If you love the name demolition, chaos sounds way better.
- Zoom– I used to call one of my cats Zoozoom.
- Cosmos– Cos-cos, Tos-tos or Cosmos. Sounds fun?
- Flambe– This is a term used in cooking and related to flame and alcohol.
- Tabasco– Love Tabasco sauce? It also makes a great pet name though.
- Tang– For Orangey cats!
You may like the best cat houses.
Sassy cat names.
- Sheba– The meaning of promise in Hebrew.
- Duchess– High-rank women were called duchess. Do you think your cat belongs to a superior bloodline?
- Queenie– The queenie Pweenie baby cat.
- Kitana– 1000 years old princess looking young in Mortal Kombat II.
- Pyro– Pyro means fire in Greek.
- Bolt– Thunderbolt king wants to eat fish now.
- Yukon– There’s a river called Yukon in Canada.
- Annona– It’s one of the most unique names I came across.
- Agon– Popular name in Albania. For cats, it’s still unique.
- Alfie– For the wisest pet at your home.
- Boo-boo- Boo was the world’s cutest dog. You can add another Boo and name your cat.
- Bobble– The awkward walking cat.
- Chrome– The fast and small cat.
- Clover– Clover is a plant, but it’s often used as a symbol of prosperity.
- Dee-dee– The Latin version of divine.
- Doozy– The cars from the now extinct company Duesenberg, known for producing the finest cars ever.
- Durian– The Durian fruit.
- Geryon– It’s a mythological monster who was killed by Hercules.
- Gimp– Has a cute and intimidating feeling attached to the name.
- Harpie– This name has a charm of its own. It’s derived from Greek mythology where harpies were monsters who punished wrongdoers.
Japanese cat names.
- Aimi– Beauty, love, and affection are three attributes of this name. Think your cat has them all?
- Akina– The greenness in autumn is the meaning in Japanese. This name will be suitable for a cat who seems very soothing to your eyes.
- Emi– A cat is a ‘beautiful blessing’ and it makes you ‘smile’ every now and then.
- Eri– Eri, and Emi both have a quite similar meaning. Eri means blessed gift.
- Haiku– Don’t know anything Japanese poetry? Your cat may do! The name is damn cute BTW.
- Haruki– Might be a good name for a white cat. It means brightness.
- Kioko– Goes quite well with the happiest looking cat’
- Kohana– Often used for a Japanese baby girl. It means a little flower.
- Miki– Sounds like mickey. But in Japanese, it has a beautiful meaning- ‘noble’
- Naoko– The most admirable cat ever!
- Nami– Nami can be used for a female cat. The literal meaning is a wave.
- Oki– Short, and precise name which means the middle of the ocean.
- Sora– Sora is the sky above us.
- Domo– Domo sounds like a powerful name for a powerful cat.
- Kiyoshi– It represents pureness. I had a white cat once, and I named him Kiyoshi.
- Michiko– It’s an easy-to-pronounce name.
Creative Unique kitten names.
- Bugaboo– As like Boogeyman, a legendary scary creature.
- Figaro– Has a french origin meaning barber.
- Bar Bar– You add bar to a bar, and that’s how this name came into existent. It’s a very unique name for a cat.
- Catahoochie– I found this name from a comment section in a blog. And I love it absolutely.
- Tee-Tee aka- Cute and resembles a tiny cat.
- Cleocatra– I just replaced the pat in Cleopatra.
- Tim tam– Never heard of this name before.
- Vacadu– I couldn’t find the meaning of this name. That means not a lot of people are using this name.
- Mitzi– A name of German origin.
- Tyloo– A cool name for a cool cat. It’s a name for a mythical creature in Chinese.
- Adolf Kitler– Do you love Hitler? How about Kitler?
- Charlie Catlin– This is totally fun.
- Nefertiti– The wife of an Egyptian ruler in the 14th B.C.
- Catbalou– The panther from Jungle book Balou. I just added a cat to the name.
- Squeakers– Some cats can really scream out loud. This might go pretty well with such cats.
- Mookie– The cat with a lot of cuteness.
- Croco– The short form of a crocodile. If your cat sleeps like a crocodile, this is the perfect name.
- Joshy– Joyful cat.
- Musti– The sister of Rusty.
Unique fat cat names.
- Butterball– Goes more with cats that are fat and has the softest hair.
- Jumbo– Like Jumbo the elephant.
- Tubby– The short form of Torbjorn. There is a feeling of fatness to the name itself.
- Roly Poly- Roly Poly is a sort of sweet dough with filling. It’s better to name one cat Roly and another Poly.
- Blimpy– The US-based Sandwich chain has the perfect name for a fat cat.
- Bubba– Bubba from Forrest Gump. How can we forget that character, right?
- Chubalub– Resembles a chubby person.
- Flabby– From fat girl Abby, you get Flabby. And that’s quite a cute name for a cat.
- Hammy– Hammy the hamburger eater.
- Pumba– Timon, and Pumba from Linking. The iconic characters from childhood.
- Donut– Didn’t know this could be such a great name for a pet.
- Nacho– A name of Spanish origin.
- Mac– Does your cat seem like the Big Mac in Mcdonalds?
- Gordo– It literally means fat in Spanish.
- Grasso– This is the Italian version of fat.
- Taba– Taba sounds very unique. Because it’s a Fillipino word and it means fat.
- Grande– For Big fat cats.
- Fitu– It’s an Icelandic word that means fat.
- Epic– The cat with fat belly and gigantic size.
- Chubbles– The one cat that makes you laugh because of its chubbiness.
- Blubber– It’s a thick layer of fat found in whales and other mammals underwater.
- Machu Picchu– Machu means old, and Picchu means mountain.
Unique white cat names.
- Atali– Often used in Sweden, and it means pure. This is a perfect name for white cats.
- Pandu: For pale white cats.
- Abyaz– A Qur’anic name that means bright and pure.
- Tic Tac– Like the white gums.
- Furby– More like a Furbee.
- Zuri– It symbolizes beauty. If you have a white beauty at home, this is the name to give.
- Alba– It’s a unisex cat name. In German, it means white pearl.
- Finn– The Irish meaning is white.
- Kenzie– Most suitable for good looking cats.
Unique black cat names.
- Bruna– The literal meaning is brown. So, it will go with dark-haired cats.
- Kalan– For the darkest cat with bright eyes.
- Achlys– A Greek mythological name that means death mist.
- Sauda– Some dark cats are more beautiful than the fair ones. This is for those cats.
- Pepsi– Ever thought Pepsi could be a name for a black cat?
- Batman– That’s so cool.
- Kuro– The word for black is Kuro in Japanese.
- Salem – If you ever watch Sabrina the witch Tv show, you might remember the black cat of the same name.
- Leila– The Arabic version of dark beauty.
- You may like Cat History.